Truck diver Steven Elford, 46, from Terang, and friends Rebecca McKenzie, Sean Doran, Tim Elliot and Caroline Wright died at the scene when Mr Elford's truck and a station wagon collided at an intersection north of Penshurst about 12.20pm. Caroline Wright's twin sister Olivia was cut from the wreck and flown to the Royal Melbourne Hospital, where she died yesterday. The five young people who all graduated from Warrnambool's Emmanuel College in 2009 were travelling to the Dunkeld Races in Sean Doran's station wagon. Mr Doran's father Pat spoke to local media yesterday, saying he had ironed his son's clothes before he left for his day at the races. I told him I didn't think he should go, I don't know why. It doesn't help now. I know the corner, it's a shocking corner, he said. Mr Doran said he went through a range of emotions while making countless phone calls trying to find his son after hearing there had been an accident mid-afternoon Saturday. He and wife Loretta did not find out Sean had died until about 7.40pm Saturday. At 7pm I was watching the news and there was a yellow sedan in the picture so I thought, 'well it can't be Sean, he's got a black station wagon'. It was only half-an-hour, 40 minutes later, that police were at our door to tell us, he said. I can think of nothing worse than what's happened for everyone involved." Sean, 20, played football with the North Warrnambool Eagles seniors this year. Mr Doran told The Warrnambool Standard he felt especially sorry for the family of the Wright twins, Olivia and Caroline, who lost their mother Anne to cancer a couple of years ago. Rosetta Stone Software That's just a tragedy for the family, I just feel so sorry for everyone involved, he said. Olivia had studied Early Childhood Education at Latrobe University in Bendigo, according to social network site Facebook, while Caroline was studying at the University of Ballarat. Rebecca McKenzie, 20, was studying at Deakin University's Warrnambool campus and worked at the local Harris Scarfe and Victoria Hotel as a waitress. Tim Cooper, 19, was vice-captain of Emmanuel College in 2009 and was working at Kmart in Warrnambool. Mr Elford, 46, was well-known in the trucking industry. Wife Raelene Elford described him a fantastic father to their nine-year-old daughter Maggie, who was the sunshine of his life. Peter Molan, from Terang earthmoving contractors WA Molan and Sons, said Mr Elford had been working for the company for almost 12 months. He was a well-respected and well-liked member of the transport family," Mr Molan told the Stand-ard. He had a lot of experience. Mr Molan said Mr Elford had been carting gravel at the time of the accident and that he knew the roads in the area well. Country Fire Authority volunteers spent about 20 minutes extinguishing the burning vehicles following the accident. Veteran CFA member Henry Barton said the crash aftermath was one of the most horrific scenes he had encountered. Some of those members are seasoned firefighters. It was a shock to everyone that so much carnage can happen, Mr Barton told The Warrnambool Standard.



0 评论:
发表评论