I could rave on about this for ages however thanks for a great article and maybe, just maybe, one of our wonderful politicians may take an interest in doing something positive about it. Peter Moore Forbes NSW Drivers behaving badly: Fog lights Hello The 'Drivers behaving badly' article last Friday mentions fog lights as a problem. Just a few musings. To rewrite an older joke (see below), I would look at it like this: Whenever I see a car with fog lights turned on, I never see any fog? Obviously they are very effective at solving the fog problem! I used to call them ?stupid lights? ? they are a warning to other drivers that the driver of that car is very stupid. And finally, the worst I have ever been stunned by fog lights was once by a fast moving police car. Thanks for your time! Ian Large Wagga Wagga, NSW You?ve probably heard this one before:A man was walking down a city street waving his arms frantically in the air.Another pedestrian asked: ?What are you doing that for??The man replied: ?To keep the elephants away.?The other pedestrian said: ?But there are no elephants here!?To which the man replied: ?Yeah! Effective isn?t it.? Older Drivers Dear editor, On page 9 of Drive Life 01/02/08 there is an inset advocating retesting of older drivers. Was this written by the byline author, Joshua Dowling? The summary looks as if it were written by RTA for you. It is not even a half decent commentary. It selectively interprets the RTA argument. I read the RTA document carefully and responded to it. In my view the RTA statistics and histograms when taken in totality, do not support their conclusions. In fact they prove the absolute reverse. Also I checked and found that, at least some of their comments about overseas practice, were fancies from their imagination dreamt up to defend the indefensible. They were untrue. It may be that they are being bent to suit the pollies who are always looking for scapegoats to avoid their own responsibilities. There would be a much greater benefit if they had policies seriously to tackle the proper training of the Rosetta Stone Arabic younger drivers: that would really reduce the road toll. But no, we shall never see any from the Iemma outfit, it would cost money and require imagination. I had an example the other day that the RTA may even be already practising what they have written. An acquaintance was tested by a very aggressive RTA tester who made it clear that he was determined to arrange a fail. In the end there were three defects: Parking too far from the kerb, some 6" over the imaginary line; [both cars in front and behind were some 3 feet away from the kerb!!] Approaching traffic lights too cautiously and stopping as soon as the yellow showed; Finally stopping about 3 feet from the solid line at a traffic light. With such interpretations it was no surprise when the poor guy failed I thought the SHM tried to report fairly. This is not the case here.. Peter Clark Blue Haven, NSW Pet hates Hello, I read with great interest your article on 1 February. My pet hates are: Inadequate Road Signage: On a recent visit to Orange, we found every roundabout was labelled (mid size green and white labels) on all sides of it, i.e. ON the roundabout. It was easy to see as we approached. Why is it not possible for the RTA and all Councils to arrange for all intersections to be named. How many times to you approach a T intersection and wonder where you are? The green and white labels should be available in varying sizes, be placed at driving eyelevel and (as we have found in South Australia), between intersections, the name of the next street advised. It appears to me that the high and mighty placers of road signs probably never drive their own cars but are driven. Misleading Road Signage Living at Epping, we are well aware of the M2. However, the M2 DOES NOT exit at Epping. It exits at Cheltenham. All Directories show the boundaryline of Epping/Cheltenham is Kandy Avenue/Beecroft Road.



0 评论:
发表评论